Monday, July 5, 2010

{Travel} Wide World Shop - Port Clinton, OH

Enroute to Detroit a few weeks ago, I was in a car with my brother, sis-in-law and several little people.. We were mosey-ing along the shore of Lake Erie, commenting on the interesting places we see. And we happened upon Port Clinton, OH. Maybe "happened upon" isn't the right wording. I thought it would be a cool place to go. It happened to be on our way, so I was observing this little town as we drove through. Finally, I saw an interesting street with shops and such. I begged my brother (who was driving at the time) to "pleeeeease stop, so I can walk around!" Nice brother that he is... he drove a few more blocks before giving in to the pleading and turning around. :)

Sidewalks, funny shops and I noticed this sign:


It turns out "Wide World Shop" is staffed entirely by volunteers. They sell products handcrafted in Third World countries, in an attempt to give opportunity for fair trade in difficult economies. Sounds like a good cause..

And VERY interesting things...


I like tea. Teapots? Maybe.


One of these days, I'm gonna get a nice chess set. And maybe someone to play chess with, too. That wouldn't hurt! :)


The jewelry caught my eye. It was difficult deciding what to buy. I walked back-and-forth to the jewelry shelf about five times (no joke!)


Finally, I settled on this silver bangle bracelet.. made in Mumbai, India.


Unassuming little storefront, but filled with treasures. You could go to Port Clinton, OH... or simply purchase fair trade products online at Ten Thousand Villages.




Contact Naomi * View Online Portfolio * Become a Facebook Friend


No comments:

Post a Comment