Monday, August 23, 2010

{Personal} My Mom's Birthday Dinner Party

My sis and I are creative. And adventurous. And stubborn about making our visions come true. All traits we inherited directly from our mom. Our mom who is the I-can-sew-anything, I-can-build-anything, my-motto-is-"itcan'tbethathard" mother. Yup, I'm convinced that if my mom doesn't know *how* to do it, she'll figure it out. Once a crazy-random-exciting idea hits, she's the one to make it happen. :) It's quite admirable.

Which brings me to the point of this blog entry.
My mom.
And her milestone 50th birthday.

Our family wanted to honor her, because she's worthy of honor. But Mom is not a person who likes to be the center of attention. So a big-ol'-shindig (can't believe I used that word) was completely out of the question... She requested a *small* dinner party surrounded by a few friends and family.

And when my sis and I heard "dinner party," our creative minds went a little crazy... "ooooo, we've never done a dinner party before.. with courses, and plated food.. and what should we serve for the soup?.. and fine china.. where should we have it?.. beautiful summer weather!.. what about outside? with candlelight? in the late evening?? should we have a theme?"
Through weeks of planning and phone debate and menu choices + changes + second thoughts..
Through hours upon hours of food prep, the evening was upon us..


The stage was set... Fine silver-and-white china, handwritten placecards, flickering candlelight, fresh blackeye-Susans, under a white canopy surrounded by strings of white lights. The threatening cloudy sky of earlier that day would fade into a beautiful soft evening light + gentle summer breezes.

First course: Appetizers


We're STILL smilling.. having fun.. cooking like CAAH-RAZY.

This might've had something to do with chugging chocolate milk. :) Liquid energy, my friends!!
Hey, if it's good enough for Michael Phelps... :)

Plating food is fun!

Second Course: Salad

PS---Nikki and I decided to garnish everything. Because "you eat with your eyes first"... and obviously we have watched waaay too much Food Network for our own good. ;)


Third Course: Soup - Wisconsin Cheese Soup

Fourth Course: Entree - Shrimp Linguini


In between courses, we were busy refilling drink glasses... bringing out warm home-baked French bread and herb butter.. and every few minutes, from inside the kitchen, I could hear bursts of laughter... out the door with trays in hand.. I see smiles.. and especially on my mom's face. :)


Fifth Course: Dessert
We couldn't choose just one.... so it's a sampler!!
Classic Cheesecake, Deep Chocolate Cupcake with Chocolate Ganache Frosting, Strawberry Granita


And after dessert was served.. we finally sat down to enjoy the party... exhausted, with aching feet, and still-empty stomachs... but dessert is the best part anyway. :)

My sis.. enjoying the fruits of our labor!

Me... with a calming cup of tea. :)

And then cuddling with a little niece who seemed even more exhausted than I was. :)

But we're happy. Happy to say, "Happy Birthday!" to the mom that gave us life & raised us right! :)
"Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: "Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all."
Proverbs 31:28-29


*all photos of me taken by my nice brother, Zeph*


1 comment:

  1. It was truly a lovely, extra special night to remember. You guys did an awesome job on EVERYTHING! I thoroughly enjoyed myself as did Pastor Darrell. Thank you for including us! I prayed for you both the next day that the Lord would bless you both real good for all your love, sacrifice and hard work.

    ReplyDelete