Monday, November 1, 2010

{Travel} I (Heart) NYC

I'm a traveller. I LOVE to travel. Ever since childhood, my parents instilled in me a love for new places. How did they do this, you ask? By taking me and my siblings on road trips ALL the time.. across the United States.. into big cities and small towns, business trips combined with family vacations, many stops at national parks and monuments, state lines and natural wonders. I remember being a young girl walking the streets of Atlanta, going to church in the rough parts of Chicago, looking at the lights of Las Vegas (never go there, it's wretched) and being blown along the windy boardwalk of Atlantic City. We crisscrossed the four corners of the USA (if there are 4 corners), but never ventured to one place...

New York City.

I don't think it was an intentional oversight, but as far as I know, my dad's business never took him there and so we never followed. It wasn't until adulthood that I found the opportunity to go to the Big Apple. And after a few trips, I get it. I understand the love for New York City. Its energy and fascinating people on the sidewalks, and subway and street-corners. NYC is teeming with life at every hour. The lights are always burning.. lighting up the night. The buildings rise overhead like an unimaginably high forest. And through a short two day adventure, I felt a part of something bigger than myself. I went to NYC and felt like a woman on a mission (and I was). There to *be* a photographer. First, for a senior portrait shoot in Central Park. Second, to capture New York City's flavor on my camera...

Without further ado, here's a taste of NYC.



We can't talk about NYC without mentioning 9/11. What happened that day is ingrained in the foundations of the city. We all still remember.

And yet, in a strangely comforting way, life goes on.
They begin to rebuild.
People walk by. And continue to live.



Tourism. It's a part of life. ;)


People.


Water.


Street Performers.


My favorite thing -- listen to street musicians!!!


My second-favorite thing -- stalk other photographers! Haha. If only I looked that cool while doing photo shoots... lol


Only in New York.... look for a fuzzy & cuddly animal!


Where I spent alot of time. :D


What kept me going. :D


My favorite shot. Of my favorite place in NYC. :)



Ride the Staten Island Ferry. It's free. And the view's great!! :)


Don't worry, NYC... I'll be back soon. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment